Post image for BREAKING: Google is shutting down Google Reader on July 1

BREAKING: Google is shutting down Google Reader on July 1

From the Official Google Blog:

We launched Google Reader in 2005 in an effort to make it easy for people to discover and keep tabs on their favorite websites. While the product has a loyal following, over the years usage has declined. So, on July 1, 2013, we will retire Google Reader. Users and developers interested in RSS alternatives can export their data, including their subscriptions, with Google Takeout over the course of the next four months.

I’m not gonna lie, this makes me want to cry.  And I’m not the only one. And what to do about it?  I was testing feedly recently, and I hate it, and I just realized it syncs with Google Reader anyway so I’m SOL. :(

Any advice from you, dear readers, is welcome.

In the meantime….

———-
(photo credit)

Josh March 14, 2013 at 1:33 am

This is horrifying…I get ALL of my news through Google Reader. Yes, please, let me know about alternatives!

Howard Wahlberg March 14, 2013 at 8:29 am

I’m crushed! It’s the one tool I use every single day. Would love to be included in info-sharing about a good substitute.

Christopher Ashley March 14, 2013 at 11:32 am

I got an email from Feedly saying that they’ve got a plan for post-Google reader.

Maddie Grant March 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Yep here’s more – http://blog.feedly.com/2013/03/14/tips-for-google-reader-users-migrating-to-feedly/

I’m sort of skeptical, though, because feedly and all of the other RSS readers I’ve looked into sync with GR and I’m unconvinced that once GR is turned off that any of it will still work, even if they claim to be building their own back end thing.

Maddie Grant March 14, 2013 at 1:26 pm
Sammy March 16, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I was just as upset. I’m trying out Bloglines, and while it’s a little harder to figure out, it’s okay. It’s independent from googlereader as far as I can tell.

Kathi Edwards April 9, 2013 at 3:11 pm

AACCKK! Seems like every time I get used to a new reader, it goes away and I have to find a new one. The last time, I chose Google Reader because I figured IT would be around for a long time given Google’s size and reach.

I’d be very interested in learning about hopefully equivalent alternatives!

{ 1 trackback }